I first met John Decker through the Full Gospel Business Men’s Fellowship International in the mid-1970s. John was an Envelope Salesman and I was an Architect and we were both members of the Greater Seattle Chapter of the Fellowship. At the time John had been a Christian for three years and I had just accepted Christ and been baptized in the Holy Spirit for less than a year. But John was already healing the sick, and casting out devils.
A decade or so later John met Sonja; they were married, and both attended Bible College. After graduating from Bible College John became an associate pastor in a local Seattle Four Square church. John told me one time, that whenever the pastors in the church were confronted with demonic oppression or possession they would ask him for assistance, his years in the front lines in the Fellowship had prepared him well for that task.
Several years later John and Sonja began traveling and teaching people in the churches “How to Do What Jesus Did”. In a recent telephone conversation with John, he told me that he and Sonja have ministered in forty different nations. On February 28th, 2003 John and Sonja mailed me a copy of their new book entitled “Doing What Jesus Did,” ministering in the Power of the Holy Spirit. The book is an invitation for all Christians to learn how to move in the supernatural realm, the realm in which Jesus moved. I particularly enjoyed Chapter Six – “Healing The Sick By Revelation” I recommend that every Joshua Generation man pick up a copy ( and study) John and Sonja’s handbook on healing entitled “Doing What Jesus Did” (DWJD).
For more teaching on Ministering in the Power of the Holy Spirit by John and Sonja Decker, You may order their book entitled “Doing What Jesus Did”(DWJD) On Line: www.ministrytraining.org or call toll Free: 1-877-866-9406 or you may call 541-593-7774.
Below is the Narrative that accompanies John’s story in War Story No. 15
JESUS HEALS THE SICK
One-third of Jesus earthly ministry was healing the sick. In Matthew 9 and 10 below, Jesus taught, He preached, and he healed the sick. If we are to do what Jesus did, healing the sick, will also be part of our ministry.
After demonstrating to his disciples how to do it, Jesus immediately gave His followers the power and authority to also heal the sick. Healing is a vital part of The Lord’s evangelistic strategy to win the world to Himself. Healing grabs the attention of the pre-Christian, softening their hearts to hear the way of salvation. It is a sign to them that the message the person is preaching while healing the sick is on behalf of God. It demonstrates that the Lord is working in them as an authentic ambassador of Jesus Christ.
And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. NKJV
And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease. NKJV
A Growth of Faith.
For me it all started within months of my becoming a Christian in early 1973. As years progressed, I noticed a natural progression of faith as I witnessed God healing the sick. There were two stages of my coming to a full understanding about divine healing: surprise encounters and then discovering the authentic. Chapter 5 of “DOING WHAT JESUS DID” will thoroughly discuss the final stages where we minister healing by reliance on the Holy Spirit and His revelation gifts. In both stages a compassionate, supernatural God progressively manifests Himself as a God who is willing to heal us. This is clearly illustrated in the following passages:
MATTHEW 1:40-42 MATTHEW 8:2&3 LUKE 5:12-13
Then a leper came to Him, imploring Him, kneeling down to Him and saying to Him: “If you are willing, you can make me clean.” And Jesus being moved with compassion, put out His hand and touched him, and said to him: “I am willing; be cleansed.”, As soon as He had spoken, immediately the leprosy left him, and he was cleansed. (NKJV)
- The above Scriptures reveal God’s will concerning healing. His will is plainly revealed in these three passages. They all say the same thing: He is willing to heal us!
- He is willing not only to heal leprosy; He is willing all manner of sickness and disease. Jesus has revealed His eternal compassion and mercy to heal the sick.
- Most believe God is able to do anything He wants. These passages proclaim that God is not only able, He is willing to heal those who come to Him in faith.
- Therefore we can preach with confidence that divine healing is now available through the mighty name of Jesus Christ.
- Sick people (like this leper) who are serious and determined to get healed, demonstrate the kind of faith that will set the stage for healing.
- The timing of when the healing will actually manifest is always left in the hands of the Lord. Even though He is willing to heal now, the full, physical manifestation may be instant or it may take hours, days, or weeks.
- Nowhere in Scripture can we find a passage that permits us to demand an instant healing. That is foolish presumption. Because Jesus is willing, healing starts the moment we start praying for the sick.
- Our confession remains: “God is willing to heal you now. Your healing starts today. We will continue to thank Him until the physical manifestation comes to pass.”
- Only God know those sicknesses that will end in death. (See John 11:4). This is why we need revelation knowledge from the Lord about how to pray in these kinds of situations. We contend for healing until the Lord reveals otherwise.
Full Gospel Business Men’s Fellowship in America